At Ararat Rural City Council we provide a wide range of waste and recycling services; many of these are supplemented by commercial services within our very own community.
Ararat Rural City Council is part of the Grampians Central West Waste and Resource Recovery Group. Member Councils work together to get a consistent approach across the region, to share waste management and educational resources and jointly tender to minimise the costs to individual councils.
Primary services available to residents are:
- A waste collection service to residents in Ararat, Buangor, Elmhurst, Lake Bolac, Mount Cole, Moyston, Pomonal, Streatham, Warrak, Wickliffe and Willaura as well as along some of the transit routes around these areas.
- A recycling collection in Ararat (only)
- Waste, recycling and re-use drop off at our Transfer Stations in Ararat, Elmhurst, Lake Bolac, Moyston, Pomonal, Tatyoon, Streatham and Willaura.
- There are limited options for it to go to. Eg. no local compost/bio mass facility or no local re-processor
- There is not enough volume for feasibility in Council operating its own re-processing facility
- It is too expensive to transport green waste regularly to a re-processor that is not close by (the closest to Ararat is located in Bacchus Marsh). It is not a feasible option to transport to this site whether the waste is shredded or not
- Currently a large number of EPA legislation and restrictions on compost facility operations