Maternal & Child Health
Have you heard of the Ararat Maternal & Child Health Service?
- provides a free service for families with babies and children aged from birth to 4 years
- is funded by the state government and Council
- promotes the health and wellbeing of families
- monitors the health, growth and development of babies & children
- gives support and advice on health and parenting issues
- is a valuable resource for information on all things family
How can I use this service?
- we offer an initial home visit after your new baby is born as well as appointments at the maternal and child health centres across the municipality
- health & development checks are recommended at: 2 Weeks; 4 Weeks; 8 Weeks; 4 Months; 8 Months; 12 Months; 18 Months; 2 Years; and 3.5 Years
- additional visits outside these ages are also welcome
When can I see the Maternal & Child Health Nurses?
The Ararat Office is located at 60 High St Ararat, phone number 5352 1813.
The office is open:
- Tuesday (appointments only) 9am-6.30pm
- Wednesday (groups in morning, home visits in afternoon)
- Thursday (appointments only) 9am-12.30pm; and 1.30pm-4.30pm
- Friday (appointments only) 9am-4pm
What if I live out of town?
Our nurses visit Lake Bolac, Willaura, Streatham, Moyston and Elmhurst regularly.
Rural Centres by appointment:
- Elmhurst - Fridays by appointment only - Bush Nursing Centre
- Moyston - first Wednesday of the month - 9.30-11.30am - Moyston Primary School Playgroup - drop-in session
- Streatham - fourth Wednesday of the month by appointment only - MCH building in Campbell Street
- Lake Bolac - second Wednesday of the month from 9.30am-3pm by appointment - fourth Wednesday of the month by appointment only - at Lake Bolac Bush Nursing Centre
- Willaura first Friday of the month - 10am-2pm at Willaura Primary School Playgroup - drop-in session
Are you new to town and have young children?
We can give advice about local services, kinder enrolments, playgroups and activities in and around Ararat. Feel free to use our waiting room as a safe area to feed, change or play when you are out and about.
New Mother’s Groups are run on a regular basis for first time mums to meet and share experiences.
Capsules can be hired for up to 6 months for a small fee.
Our Facebook page also is a great source of information.
Where can I get my child immunised?
Public immunisations for children aged 0-4 years are held on the third Wednesday of each month at the Ararat Maternal & Child Health Centre from 10:30am - 12:30pm. (Phone 53521813 for details)
If you live around Lake Bolac area we immunise on days we visit (2nd & 4th Wednesday of month by appointment)
Maternal & Child Health nurses also administer the Secondary School Immunisation Program.
Did you know you can access your child’s immunisation records over the internet?
Go to the Medicare Australia website, and register for a password. This gives you secure access to your child’s records