Council’s building staff can assist with advice and technical information in regard to construction, alteration, extension, demolition or change of use for all types of buildings within the Council area in accordance with the Building Act 1993 and Regulations 2018.

Building permits can be obtained through a registered private building surveyor. To see if your works needs a permit, click here.

Council will assess applications for proposed relaxation of building controls; such as reduced setbacks for new buildings or other dispensations.  It will also approve temporary structures and work with event organisers to ensure they are compliant. More information on these matters can be found by clicking here.

If you have a complaint about building works in your area these can be reported to the Council for investigation by calling our Customer Service Team on (03) 5355 0200 during normal business hours or by emailing