What is Council’s role in building matters?

The Municipal Building Surveyor issues building permits and administers the building regulations under the Building Act. A building surveyor can be a privately registered person who is not otherwise employed by Council.


The Building Surveyor’s role is to:

  • Issue Occupancy Permits for Places of Public Entertainment including temporary structure permits.

  • Provide information about previous building works at your property.

  • Advise property owners about community safety issues such as swimming pools and smoke detectors.
  • Respond to community complaints about building projects and illegal and dangerous building structures


The Building Regulatory Framework is managed by the Victorian Building Authority.