Paying Your Rates

Payment Options

There are several payment options available to pay your rates account:

  • Automatic Direct Debit payment
  • Online using Bpay
  • Using Australia Post Services
  • Centrepay
  • In person
  • By phone

Direct Debit

Rates direct debit options are:

  • One annual payment
  • Four quarterly instalments
  • Nine monthly instalments from September to May
  • Eighteen fortnightly instalments from September to May

Call 03 5355 0209 for an application form, or download by clicking the below link and return it to the Rates Department, PO Box 246, Ararat 3377 or email it to


Contact your financial institution to make this payment from your cheque, savings, debit or credit card.

More information at

Australia Post / PostBillPay

In person at any Post Office, or by phone 13 18 16. Alternatively, go to


A free and voluntary service through Centrelink to pay bills and expenses as regular deductions from your Centrelink payments. 

In person

Present notice intact to the Municipal Offices, Vincent St, Ararat, during business hours, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.15pm. Payment may be made by cash or cheque made payable to Ararat Rural City Council, by credit card (Bankcard, Visa and Mastercard) or debit card (EFTPOS).

Payments can also be made at any Post Office.


Pay by Cheque: Detach bottom portion of account and make cheque payable to Ararat Rural City Council and mail both to P.O. Box 246, Ararat, 3377. Receipts are issued only on request. Postal delays cannot be accepted as an excuse for late payment.

By Phone

Pay using your credit card by calling Customer Service on 03 5355 0200.

Payment assistance and arrangements

There are a number of different arrangements for the payment of rates.

Arrangements to pay

If you are having difficulty paying your rates by the due date you can contact the Rates Office to arrange a repayment plan that is mutually acceptable.

Rates deferral/waiver

We can defer or waive rates & charges if you are experiencing financial hardship.

A deferral of rates means rates, charges and interest are still charged, but you do not have to pay the amount until we determine a time in the future.

A waiver of rates means we reduce the whole or part of the amount of rates and interest owing, and you do not have to pay the amount waived.

We will only consider applications for defferal and waiver on the basis of genuine hardship supported by another government agency, welfare group or financial counsellor.

We will consider applications for the waiver or deferral of rates as a confidential report in a closed Council meeting.

The waiver or deferral of rates will only apply with regard to rates on the applicant’s primary residence.

Unpaid rates

You need to pay your rates each year.

Your responsibilities

  • Rates are due at the same time every year for every Victorian Council.
  • The rate notice we send advises you of the payment options and the relevant due dates that apply.
  • It is your responsibility to pay your rates by the due dates.
  • We offer many payments options and technology now allows you to pay your rates on time, every time.

You can:

  • Sign up for direct debits so we can debit your account on the due dates  
  • Schedule payments to be deducted from your accounts by the due dates using BPAY View® 

Interest charges

If you do not pay your rates we charge interest at the rate of 10% per annum on overdue amounts.

The interest rate is set by law and reviewed each year. It is higher than home loan interest rates because it is a penalty for not paying your rates on time.

Unpaid rates and unpaid interest continue to accumulate until you sell the property.

Debt Collection

We will pursue unpaid rates.

When you don’t pay your rates by the due dates, we will send you a reminder notice.

If you ignore the reminder notice you will receive a further final notice, requesting payment or asking you to complete an “arrangement to pay” form, so we can work out a personal repayment plan.

If you continue to ignore us we may use a debt collection agency and commence legal action to recover the debt.

If legal action is taken you may find your credit rating will be affected which may restrict your ability to secure future loans.

We do have the power to sell your property if the rates or charges (including enforcement costs and interest) is more than 3 years overdue.

Valuation Objections

The law requires you to pay your rates by the due dates, even if you have objected to your valuation.