Pensioner Rebates

The pensioner rates rebate is provided by the State Government. The concession amount is indexed each year by the State Government.

We administer the scheme on behalf of the Department of Health & Human Services.


You will need one of the following concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card – issued by Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – War Widow (WW)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card – Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)

Please note: Health Care Cards cannot be used to claim this rebate.

Are there any other eligibility criteria?

  • Your concession card must be valid at the time of application
  • You are the person responsible for payment of the account
  • Your name must be on the rates notice, and
  • Your name and address on the account must match that on the concession card, and the address must be your principal place of residence.

For further information on eligibility on Council rates visit Department of Health & Human Services and for general information on all concessions visit Department of Health & Human Services Concessions.

New pensioners

You may become eligible for a rebate during the financial year.  To obtain the concession rebate you must lodge a written application to obtain a rebate for that rating year. The rebate will apply for the full year even if you only became eligible during the year.

Moving house

The rebate applies to one Residential dwelling per financial year. If you have shifted to a new home you need to fuill in a new application form, once your pension card shows the new address,

The new application will then take effect in the next financial year

The rebate is 50% (to a maximum of $235.15 for 2019/2020.)

Change in Circumstances

If you received a rebate last year and your circumstances have not changed, you will automatically be granted a rebate this year.

Where your circumstances have changed from those set out in your original application, you are required by law to advise us in writing of these changes.

Council checks every year to ensure you are still eligible.

Council Rebate

Council no longer provides a rebate in addition to the State Government Rebate.

Fire Services Levy Rebate

The State Government allows for a $50 concession for Fire Services Property Levy.

This amount is not indexed like the other rebates mentioned above.

Applying for a Pensioner Rates Rebate

Your application for a Pensioner Rates Rebate needs to be done in person at the Council offices in Vincent Street, Ararat.

You will need to bring your eligible pension card for verification purposes.

Application forms are available at the Council offices, or can be downloaded from the Department of Health & Human Services.

Your rate notice will be amended after we confirm your eligibility.