Stay in the loop: Sign up to Ararat Rural City Council’s official e-newsletter to receive important information about our community, including infrastructure updates, upcoming event information and the latest Council news stories.

Parking & Infringements

Central business district (CBD) 2 hour parking is still in force. 

On-street parking is now free across Ararat municipality as part of a council plan to attract more shoppers through the doors of businesses. Ararat Rural City Council has removed all parking meters from the CBD to make public spaces more accessible and support businesses. 

It was identified the two-hour time limit was needed to ensure everyone had a fair chance to find the right park for their purpose. 

Where a parking spot has time restrictions – this limit will remain in effect to ensure everyone has a fair go at finding a park. Parking limits are regulated between 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday and 9am to noon on weekends. 

Two hour parking enforcement is still in place and the cost of parking longer than indicated is currently $80. 

Disabled parks are available to those with a blue permit, the two hour parking time limit still applies. For those with a double time disabled parking permit can park in a general park for double the time as per signage.  

Accessible Parking Permits - New, Renewals and Replacements

Permits give parking concessions to those with impaired mobility. There are three types of Accessible Parking Permits available to Victorian residents: 

  • An Australian Disability Parking (ADP) Permit (for individuals) 
  • Victorian Double Time Permit (for individuals) 
  • An Australian Disability Parking (ADP) Permit (for organisations) 

To apply for an accessible parking permit, click here and fill out the information required. A doctor or occupational therapist must sign off on these permits before they can be assessed.  

Permits can also be done manually by visiting your General Practitioner or Occupational therapist who have access to the VicRoads website to apply on your behalf detailing your medical needs. 

Fines & Infringements

When you first receive a fine, you will be issued with an Infringement Notice. You will have 21 days to pay the fine, or deal with it in another way, such as applying to pay it in instalments or requesting a review.

Your Infringement Notice will include information about:

  • your offence
  • how much you owe
  • how you can pay
  • your options for dealing with the fine
  • the fine due date. When an Infringement Notice is issued by an enforcement agency, you must pay it by the due date or do something else about it.
  • If you do not pay it or do something about it, a Penalty Reminder Notice is issued for the fine and the cost of the fine will go up. You should pay the fine or contact the agency that issued the fine to talk about your options. Their contact number is on the notice you received.
  • If you still don't take action, a Notice of Final Demand is issued and the cost of the fine goes up again. You should pay this fine by the due date.
  • If you don't do anything, an Enforcement Warrant may be issued, and the Sheriff may become involved. Fines Victoria may also apply a driver or vehicle sanction against you.



Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice
Internal Review

If you have received an Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice, you can apply to have your fine reviewed by the enforcement agency that issued your fine. This type of review is called an Internal Review. You can request only one internal review for each infringement.

Contact 5355 0200 to collect an application for review form from the Municipal Office or have one emailed to you.
You can request an Internal Review of your fine under one of the following grounds:


Person unaware: you did not know about the fine

You can request a review under this ground if all of the following apply:

  • you found out about the fine within the last 14 days
  • the fine was not personally given to you by an officer.

If you moved house but you did not change your authorised address with the relevant agency (for example, VicRoads) within 14 days of moving, your application may not be successful.
Your application may not be successful unless you provide evidence showing you did not know about the fine. This could be a copy of your passport or boarding pass showing you were overseas, an invoice from a removalist showing that you moved house, a VicRoads address change confirmation, or a report about mail theft.
You must submit your application within 14 days of the date you became aware of the fine.
If your application is unsuccessful, you will be granted a further 21 days to deal with your fine and any fees added to your fine will be removed.


Contrary to law: the fine is invalid or was improperly issued to you

You can apply under this ground if you believe that the enforcement agency's decision to fine you was inconsistent with the law.
For example, the officer who issued the fine acted unlawfully, improperly or outside their authority or the fine does not comply with the legal requirements of an infringement notice.


Mistake of identity: the fine was issued to the wrong person

You can request a review under this ground if you have been incorrectly identified as the person who committed an offence, and you have evidence to support your claim. For example, someone provided your licence or gave your details to police, or you have the same name as another person or family member and the wrong person received the fine.
This review ground does not apply if someone else was driving your vehicle at the time of the offence, you are the registered owner of the vehicle and you received a camera-detected fine. 

Once your fine progresses to a Notice of Final Demand, it is too late to nominate (except in limited circumstances, such as 
family violence situations).
You cannot request a review under this ground if someone else was driving your vehicle. Failing to nominate the responsible person is not a valid reason to apply for mistake of identity.


Exceptional circumstances: the offence occurred due to an extraordinary or unavoidable situation

You should only select this ground if you can show that the offence occurred due to circumstances that were out of the ordinary, unavoidable, or exceptional – such as a medical emergency or a vehicle breakdown.


Special circumstances: you have serious personal issues, disorders or difficulties

These circumstances are very specific. You should only select this ground if you committed the offence and can show that:

  • at the time of the offence you:
    • had a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness
    • had a serious addiction to drugs, alcohol or a volatile substance
    • were homeless
    • were a victim of family violence, or
  • you cannot deal with your fines because of severe disabling long-term circumstances, even if those circumstances did not exist at the time of the offence.

You will need to provide evidence from a qualified practitioner or agency to support your application. For more information on what is required and how to apply, see: Special Circumstances.


The Family Violence Scheme

If you have been impacted by family violence, the Family Violence Scheme is an option to help victim survivors deal with fines if there is a link between the family violence and their fines.

See: Family Violence Scheme for more information and assistance.


What you need to provide

Evidence to support your claims should be provided with your application.
Examples of supporting evidence can include, but are not limited to:

  • medical reports
  • bank statements
  • hospital admissions documentation
  • police statements or reports (including mail theft reports made to Victoria Police or Australia Post)
  • travel documentation (for example, copies of flight itineraries, date-stamped passports, boarding passes, or international movement records)
  • removalist invoices
  • tow truck or mechanic's invoices
  • identification documents (for example, driver's licence, birth certificate)
  • Motor Vehicle Transfer documents or other proof of sale of a motor vehicle.

Please provide as much information and supporting documentation as you can, as this will help to make a decision. You can only request one internal review for each infringement.



Request a review

What happens after you apply

After you have completed and submitted your application, your fine will be placed on hold and no further fees will be added. 
The agency that issued the fine will review your request within 90 days of receiving your application. Your application for internal review will be assessed based on the information and evidence provided to support your claims. 

It may take longer if you are asked to provide additional information. If you do not respond to the agency's request for information, your application may be reviewed based on the information available.
Once a decision has been made, you will receive notice of the outcome by post.
If your application is successful, depending on the grounds you applied under, the enforcement agency can decide to:

  • withdraw the fine and take no further action against you
  • withdraw the fine and issue an official warning instead
  • refer the matter to the Magistrates' Court (or the Children's Court if you're under 18)
  • approve a payment arrangement
  • waive or vary any fees associated with the fine
  • waive or vary any additional steps imposed by the fine
  • confirm its decision to issue you with the fine.

If the application is not successful, you will receive a notice by mail to confirm:

  • the agency's decision
  • how much you need to pay
  • when you need to pay it by
  • any other options available to you.

If your application is not successful, you can apply to have your matter heard in the Magistrates' Court – see Dispute your fine in court. This gives you (or your representative) a chance to present your evidence in front of a magistrate who will make a decision about your matter.
It is important that you provide your most current address and contact details so you can be contacted about your application if required.


Rate this page

Is this page useful?