Council’s building staff can assist with advice and technical information in regard to construction, alteration, extension, demolition or change of use for all types of buildings within the Council area in accordance with the Building Act 1993 and Regulations 2018. 

Building permits can be obtained through a registered private building surveyor. To see if your works require a permit, please visit the Works Requiring a Permit page below.

Council will assess applications for proposed relaxation of building controls; such as reduced setbacks for new buildings or other dispensations.  It will also approve temporary structures and work with event organisers to ensure they are compliant. More information on these matters can be found on the Special Approval page below.

If you have a complaint about building works in your area these can be reported to the Council for investigation by calling our Customer Service Team on (03) 5355 0200 during normal business hours or by emailing [email protected].

Private Building Surveyors

Private building surveyors issue building permits and conduct the appropriate inspections.

Any building surveyor registered in Victoria can provide this service. 

The below list of Private Building Surveyors operate in our municipality. Council in no way recommends any particular building surveyor or the quality of the provided service. There are other building surveyors who issue building permits and can be found online via the Victorian Building Authority website.

BSA Building Surveyors
Address: First Floor, 126 Torquay Road Grovedale VIC 3216
Contact: 5241 2559
Email: [email protected]

Building Surveying Victoria
Address: PO Box 629, Beaconsfield VIC 3807
Contact: 9707 4443
Email: [email protected]

BW & A National Building Consultants
Address: 1/182 Johnston Street, Fitzroy VIC 3065
Contact: 1300 363 487
Email: [email protected]

Coast To Country Building Approvals
Address: 27A Saville Street, Port Fairy VIC 3284
Contact: 0455 942 726
Email: [email protected]

Address: Suite 1.01A Bld 2W, Police Road Mulgrave VIC 3170
Contact: 9555 9511
Email: [email protected]

Daville Building Surveying
Address: 74A Main Road, Bakery Hill VIC 3354
Contact: 5341 8041
Email: [email protected]

Fitout Permits
Address: Level 22, 8 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Contact: 1300 712 523
Email: [email protected]

Good 2 Go Building Permits
Address: 1328 Geelong Road, Mount Clear VIC 3350
Contact: 0499 930 222
Email: [email protected]

Lighthouse Building Permits
Address: 12 Webster Street, Ballarat VIC 3350
Contact: 4344 4040
Email: [email protected]

Nelson McDermott
Address: Tenancy 104, 80 Monash Drive, Dandenong South VIC 3175
Contact: 1300 799 543 
Email: [email protected]

Nextgen Building Surveyors
Address: PO Box 2018, Deer Park North VIC 3023
Contact: 0411 985 895 
Email: [email protected]

Permission to Build
Address: PO Box 37, Echuca VIC 3564
Contact: 0429 837 450
Email: [email protected]

Permit Point Building Consultants Pty Ltd
Address: PO Box 234, Coburg VIC 3058
Contact: 9383 2200
Email: [email protected]

Provic Building Approvals
Address: 3 Regent Court, Alfredton VIC 3350
Contact: 0427 738 684 
Email: [email protected]

Swift Approvals  
Address: 3/9 Railway Terrace, Goolwa SA 5214
Contact: 0448 000 348 
Email: [email protected]

Vic Central Building Surveying
Address: Suite 5/172-176 McIvor Road, Strathdale VIC 3550
Contact: 5441 1730
Email: [email protected]

West Side Building Surveying (Aust) Pty Ltd
Address: Unit 1/49-55 Riverside Avenue, Werribee VIC 3030
Contact: 9741 3432
Email: [email protected]

Widdison Building Permits
Address: 11 Dana Street, Ballarat VIC 3350
Contact: 5338 8544 
Email: [email protected]

Wyndham Building Permits
Address: 45 Princes Highway, Werribee VIC 3030
Contact: 9742 0716
Email: [email protected]

Planning to be an owner builder

Building your own place can be a source of immense pleasure and potential frustration. For those wanting to take on the challenge you need to be aware that you have a number of obligations under the Building Act with which you must comply.

Owner-builders need to understand not only the technical aspects of building, but also the administrative, legal, Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) and taxation requirements associated with building construction.

In Victoria, an owner-builder can only build or renovate one house every five years and must intend to live in the house once completed.

If the value of the domestic building work to be undertaken is more than $16,000 you must have a certificate of consent from the Victorian Building Authority to be an owner-builder.

Find out more information about becoming an Owner Builder on the Victorian Building Authority's website.

What is Councils role in Building Matters

The Municipal Building Surveyor issues building permits and administers the building regulations under the Building Act. A building surveyor can be a privately registered person who is not otherwise employed by Council.

 The Building Surveyor’s role is to:

  • Issue Occupancy Permits for Places of Public Entertainment including temporary structure permits
  • Provide information about previous building works at your property.
  • Advise property owners about community safety issues such as swimming pools and smoke detectors. 
  • Respond to community complaints about building projects and illegal and dangerous building structures

The Building Regulatory Framework is managed by the Victorian Building Authority.

Please visit the Victorian Building Authority website for more information on Occupancy permits for Places of Public EntertainmentSwimming pool safety and Essential Safety Measures



Rate this page

Is this page useful?