Filming in Ararat

Ararat Rural City Council is a film friendly location. We aim to welcome productions to the area and minimise interruptions to the lives of residents and businesses.  

There are two types of filming activity that require different permissions: 

  1. Commercial Filming – apply for a permit 
  2. Low-impact filming – request permission 

All commercial filming activities are required to apply for permit for the use of public spaces. Commercial filming includes television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries, and music video. A permit helps us ensure the activity is in accordance with the regulations of this council. 

Applying for a Commercial Filming Permit

We will respond to your application within five business days of receiving it. Please note that if we need to make complex arrangements for your filming activity it may take us more than five days to issue a permit. 

To apply for a filming permit, please complete the Film Permit Application form below: 

Film Permit Fees

We do not charge fees for processing permit applications. 

We may charge filming activities a service fee if Council personnel are required to be present during filming or for the provision of additional services and resources that have been requested form Council. 

Requesting permission for low impact filming

If your filming activities are minor and “low impact” you wont need to fill out the Film Permit Application but you’ll still need to obtain our permission for low impact filming by contacting us at [email protected] or phone 03 5355 0200.  

Low impact filming activities are defined by these criteria: 

  • Includes six people of less (including all production crew and talent) 
  • No more than one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment 
  • Public safety is maintained at all times and all public pathways, footpaths and road must not be blocked 

To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require proof of your current public liability insurance and 5 business days’ notice. 

Other resources and related forms

Guide to filming in Ararat Rural City Council Handbook 
Standard Terms and Condition for Filming in Ararat Rural City Council 
Victoria’s Film Friendly Guidelines 
Victorian Screen Industry Code of Conduct 

Rate this page

Is this page useful?