Food Safety

Food Surveillance

The Environmental Health Unit closely monitors the production and sale of food in the municipality. Complaints regarding a food premises may result in advice to a proprietor about food handling methods in order to remedy the situation. If compliance is still outstanding a notice may be issued, or the complaint forwarded to Council for review or to an external body.

Follow up is conducted where necessary to ensure matters have been properly dealt with. Anyone concerned about food safety issues is encouraged to contact the Environmental Health Officer.

Food Premises

The Food Act 1984 requires that all food premises must be registered with Council and all premises are inspected annually by Council's Environmental Health Officers to ensure compliance with this Act and the Food Standards Code. Food premises are also subject to an annual registration fee with fees based on the nature of the premises.

Recalls are attended to by the Environmental Health Unit to ensure that products are removed from sale to the public. Routine food sampling is also undertaken to ensure compliance with legislation.

Purchasing an Existing Food Business

If you are thinking about purchasing an existing registered food business, there are a few things you should be aware of.

  • If the registration is current, both the current and proposed proprietors will need to complete a transfer form and submit this to Council.
  • If the registration is not current, the registration will need to be renewed. Only after the registration status is brought up to date can the transfer of registration take place.

Council encourages businesses to request an inspection and report on the premises so that you are aware of any major structural non-conformances or outstanding orders. The current and proposed proprietor should then decide who will action the outstanding items listed in the report.

If there are current orders on the premises, the new proprietor will be responsible for completion once the registration is transferred. An application for transfer of registration is available from the Environmental Health Unit. A fee is applicable.

Checklist of what needs to be submitted before a Transfer of Registration can be processed

  • An Application to Transfer form with the appropriate fee
  • A copy of the Food Safety Plan
  • A copy of the Food Safety Supervisor’s qualification

Setting up a new food business

Current legislation requires a food premises to be constructed in a manner that ensures the safe storage and preparation of food. This includes areas regarding general construction, design and fit-out. The requirements will change depending on the food you intend selling. Discuss your intentions with the Environmental Health Officer while in the planning stage, well before construction takes place.

Under the Food Act 1984 any food premises must be registered with the Council.As part of the registration process a Food Safety Program must be lodged before a premises can be registered. A Food Safety Plan must nominate a Food Safety Supervisor with formal training. This person must be able to produce a suitable certificate of qualification from a Registered Training Organisation.

Checklist of what needs to be submitted before your registration is processed:

  • A plan of the premises
  • A copy of the Food Safety Plan
  • A copy of the Food Safety Supervisor’s qualification

For further information regarding Food Safety, click here.

For further information on changes to food business classifications and requirements, click here.

Hospitality Industry Guidelines for coronavirus (COVID-19) click here

Rate this page

Is this page useful?